Vanilla Plus and Frost & Sullivan together have undertaken a survey in various OSS and BSS fields. As we saw in the Part 1 of the article, below are a set of questions and answers and also responses that are received for each one of it, along with a graphical representation. Today is the continuation of the remaining questions and answered.
- Will open-source tools be used to support semi-proprietary, quasi-open platforms or will open source be the platform?
|a. They will support platforms||59.15%||42|
|b. They will be the platform||40.85%||29|
2. Hybrid virtual / physical networks are the order of the day for now. When will virtual networks (working combination of NFV, SDN, and Cloud) become the majority provider of services?
|a. 1 year||9.86%||7|
|b. 3 years||33.80%||24|
|c. 5 years||47.89%||34|
|d. 7 years||2.82%||2|
|e. 10+ years||5.63%||4|
3. What becomes of the decades-long effort to reduce the need for Systems Integration Professional Services?
|a. It no longer applies, because virtual / physical network management is difficult and the pathway for enabling a hybrid architecture is uncertain, therefore the need for Services is accelerating||11.27%||8|
|b. The need for Services will increase slightly in order to facilitate the compatibility of legacy and next-generation software solutions||45.07%||32|
|c. Nothing has changed; services have always been part of any software implementation||30.99%||22|
|d. Automating processes will reduce the need for Services||12.68%||9|
4. Where is the most immediate network-based need for automation?
|a. Proactive parameter changes in the Radio Access Network||11.27%||8|
|b. Self-healing core network||15.49%||11|
|c. Self-healing broadband access network||8.45%||6|
|d. Enterprise customer portal for self-provisioning & activation||21.13%||15|
|e. Enterprise portal for Service Assurance and Service Level Agreement Enforcement||2.82%||2|
|f. Fulfilling consumer services||16.90%||12|
|g. Reconfiguring and activating/deactivation virtual network functions||19.72%||14|
|h. Partner revenue management and compensation||4.23%||3|
5. What is the most immediate business management need for automation?
|a. Customer self-care||35.21%||25|
|b. Monetisation of hybrid network services||15.49%||11|
|c. Accounting for virtual network licences||4.23%||3|
|d. Increasing pricing flexibility to address changing market demands||12.68%||9|
|e. Enabling and accounting for partner interactions||4.23%||3|
|f. Product and service catalogue that supports partners and virtual network functions||25.35%||18|
|g. Posting of customer service usage compared with commitment||2.82%||2|