Cloud-scale DevOps powered by new Red Hat Cloud Suite and OpenStack Platform 8
Red Hat, Inc., a provider of open source solutions, announced the general availability of Red Hat Cloud Suite and Red Hat OpenStack Platform 8. This is designed to bridge the gap between development and operations teams at the scale of cloud computing.
With the new products, Red Hat now offers a complete, integrated hybrid cloud stack with a container application platform (OpenShift by Red Hat), massively scalable infrastructure (Red Hat OpenStack Platform and unified management tools (Red Hat CloudForms). These are all said to be available individually or via a single, easy-to-deploy solution with Red Hat Cloud Suite.
A growing number of organisations are building private clouds, to give them massively scalable and modern infrastructure, while maintaining increased security and control. According to the Red Hat Global Customer Tech Outlook 2016, a global survey of Red Hat customers, private cloud deployments are expected to outpace public cloud by 6x. In addition, development teams are looking to streamline the creation and deployment of new cloud-native applications while IT leadership is hoping to meet growing business demands with cloud-based automation.
Red Hat’s latest cloud solutions help answer these needs through the availability of:
- Red Hat OpenStack Platform 8, the newest version of Red Hat’s OpenStack offering, adds optimised storage and management capabilities through the native inclusion of Red Hat Ceph Storage and Red Hat CloudForms, respectively.
- Red Hat Cloud Suite, a pre-integrated set of Red Hat’s cloud technologies that, for the first time, allows for cloud-native application development and deployment with the inclusion of OpenShift by Red Hat in addition to massively-scalable infrastructure and unified management.
Red Hat’s OpenStack-based private cloud solutions provide an open foundation to meet production-level needs of today’s modern businesses, combining highly-scalable infrastructure and management with developer productivity, backed by a broad ecosystem of certified hardware and software providers. Available as a single platform with Red Hat OpenStack Platform or as an integrated offering through Red Hat Cloud Suite, Red Hat’s cloud solutions help customers build scalable, fault-tolerant, IaaS environments.
Forming the backbone of Red Hat’s hybrid cloud offerings is Red Hat OpenStack Platform 8, the latest version of the company’s highly scalable IaaS platform based on the OpenStack community “Liberty” release. A co-engineered solution that integrates the proven foundation of Red Hat Enterprise Linux with Red Hat’s OpenStack technology to form a production-ready cloud platform, Red Hat OpenStack Platform is becoming the gold standard for large production OpenStack deployments.
Hundreds of global production deployments and even more proof-of-concepts are underway, and in the information and telecommunications industry, a strong ecosystem of industry leaders are rallying around Red Hat OpenStack Platform for transformative network functions virtualisation (NFV) and software-defined networking (SDN) deployments.
Tim Yeaton, senior vice president, Infrastructure Business, Red Hat said, “OpenStack-based private clouds are rapidly becoming the standard in scalable enterprise computing, but require a vibrant ecosystem of technologies, services and hardware to help organisations truly realise their potential.
Red Hat OpenStack Platform 8 and Red Hat Cloud Suite showcase the power of Red Hat’s open innovation, with solutions that can address nearly any private cloud deployment scenario while at the same time delivering a streamlined cloud-native application development platform coupled with the needed enterprise-level controls for cloud management and improved security.”
“A strategic priority for our team is to introduce new, cloud-based connected services that can innovate our offerings, including mobile apps, a cloud user portal and call center services, and more,” said Odd Wallér, manager, Java Hosting Service Design, Volvo IT. To do this, we needed a standardised cloud infrastructure that would enable us to deploy our newly-built applications anywhere.
An open hybrid cloud, based on Red Hat OpenStack Platform and CloudForms, enabled us to create a multi-tier architecture that could support our continuous integration and DevOps model. And, as an open source solution, we found that an OpenStack-based cloud gave us the additional flexibility we needed to meet our goals.”
With the debut of Red Hat OpenStack Platform 8, Red Hat’s core OpenStack offering now natively includes:
- Automated upgrades and updates; easily upgrade major point releases and minor updates. A component of the Red Hat OpenStack Platform director, it automatically performs the necessary system-wide updates to both the core OpenStack services, as well as the director tool itself, helping to deliver a healthy and stable OpenStack cloud while minimising downtime.
- Infrastructure and workload management included; use Red Hat CloudForms for lifecycle and operational management over OpenStack infrastructure and workloads. CloudForms can manage Linux and Windows workloads running on top of OpenStack, including lifecycle management, usage monitoring and reporting, multi-node orchestration, and governance and policy-based access control.
- Software-defined storage; Red Hat Ceph Storage, Red Hat’s massively scalable, software-defined storage solution, is now included with Red Hat OpenStack Platform, offering an initial 64 terabytes of highly flexible object and block storage. The most popular storage solution for OpenStack clouds provides users with a single, efficient platform to support the demanding storage needs of an OpenStack-based cloud.
- Telco-focused preview; version 8 adds several new and critical tech preview features focused on improving network virtualisation functions. With this release there is more assured predictable latency with real-time KVM, improved network I/O performance with DPDK- accelerated Open vSwitch; and an OpenDaylight networking plugin for customers intending to build a software-defined network.
Now available, Red Hat Cloud Suite combines the award-winning container application platform OpenShift Enterprise, with a massively scalable cloud infrastructure in the form of Red Hat OpenStack Platform, and a common management framework through Red Hat CloudForms. Red Hat Cloud Suite enables users to accelerate new cloud-based services for private cloud and application development and optimise existing workloads through improved virtualisation and performance. This enables a modern cloud environment where application delivery teams can focus on development, testing, and deployments using modern cloud-based containerised microservice solutions, while maintaining control and visibility.
Comment on this article below or via Twitter: @ VanillaPlus OR @jcvplus